Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 978-0-06-166276-8
Pages: 357

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl - someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment - not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

Well, it's official. The Summoning has been bumped down to the number two spot on my (very short) list of favourites by Kelley Armstrong with this one taking the lead. It was terrific to see how the cast of characters from the previous book functioned outside of Lyle House.

I didn't get to speak much about Chloe, the main character and narrator, in my last review but I liked the consistency within both books of how her director side shines through even after all that she's been through.
No matter what changes in her life, I like to think that she still analyzes situations in that way.

In this book, we get to know Derek and Simon a lot better and my feelings for both of them have definitely intensified.* I wish there had been more of an emphasis on all of the 'experiments' developping their powers a bit more because I really liked the parts that did showcase that but I'm excited to hear about it in the next book.

This book is greatly recommended! It has a good share, for sure, of nail-biting moments that were well-executed and even more to love than the first book of the trilogy. Overall, a stellar read!

Cover Comments: I definitely like this cover even more than the first! The picture of the gem was my only complaint on the last book but its larger now and stands out more. I also like the contrast of the red and the blue together; very pretty. Just as with The Summoning, I like the model's hair a lot (the rest of her too!) even if I don't see how it matches Chloe in the story. Ah, well - details.

* TEAM DEREK!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your review, The Awakening is a great read. My only complaint with the series is that it didn't have quite enough plot to cover an entire trilogy, but the amazing characterization goes a looong way to make up for that.

    Derek *squee*!!!

    I love your blog, you have a new follower!

    -Kelly @ Paper Fantasies

    ReplyDelete