Wednesday 2 March 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Publisher: Delacorte Press
ISBN: 978-0-385-73681-7
Pages: 308
In Mary's world, there are simple truths.

The Sisterhood always knows best.

The Guardians will protect and serve.

The Unconsecrated will never relent.

And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.

Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?
I absolutely adored this novel. The writing was incredibly powerful and the story flowed effortlessly. It is one of the most beautifully crafted books I've read in a long while. The raw emotion was portrayed realistically and hauntingly and was probably one of the biggest reasons I couldn't put the book down once I really got started.

I have to admit, I was hesitant to even pick this book up. The title alone sort of freaked me out and I was worried I would spend the night after reading it worrying I was going to be eaten by mythical monsters. I was partly right - the story definitely did stay with me long after I'd finished reading - but it was so worth it.

The beginning of the story focuses heavily on developing Mary's character. Ryan does a fantastic job of creating a three-dimensional character. She was strong and a dreamer with every feeling described in ultra-high detail. I felt like I was experiencing everything alongside with Mary (a little scary considering the circumstances in which the book takes place...) but at times I found myself very annoyed with her. She was just so selfish sometimes! I mean, I understand why she did certain things (can you see me trying not to give stuff away?) but she was just a little too adventurous for me.

Overall, The Forest of Hands and Teeth turned out to be a magnificent debut from Carrie Ryan.

If there is anything that this book taught me it is that I am not prepared for the zombie apocalypse (which will happen - seriously).

I'm very excited to read the second instalment, The Dead-Tossed Waves, which I am currently waiting on from the library. Hopefully it will be as brilliantly done as its predecessor.
-

Other titles from Carrie Ryan include: The Dead-Tossed Waves, The Dark and Hollow Places (March 2011)

2 comments:

  1. No! There can't be a zombie apocalypse! I hate zombies with a passion!

    Great review though. I don't think I've heard of this book before, but I think I'll check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... doesn't it bug you when people try and eat your brains? No manners whatsoever.

    You should! I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete