Tuesday 1 May 2012

Revived by Cat Patrick

RevivedRevived by Cat Patrick


Add it: Goodreads
Source: Publisher for review
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Format: Hardcover, 336 pages
Release Date: May 1, 2012

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.
A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency's true goals, she realizes she's at the center of something much larger--and more sinister--than she ever imagined. 

I was and still am amazed at the idea behind this novel. Sure, coming back from the dead isn't a novel idea (although Daisy doesn't eat brains...) but the idea of a secret government agency? An entire underground experiment being launched with children from a bus crash as the test subjects? Parents that are really secret agents? That's just awesome. The cool factor of Cat Patrick's Revived still hasn't worn off for me.

I think the most interesting part of this novel for me besides the concept was the development of Daisy's view on the program throughout the novel. It's understandable that Daisy -- having died and been revived five times -- is supportive and grateful to the Revive project in the beginning of the novel. It's influenced her in so many ways; having two agents as parental figures has resulted in an analytical, adaptable girl and she's a character very easy to slip into the mind of.

And then. Stuff happens in this book. There's a completely life-changing event in Daisy's life that forces her to step back from the happy bubble she's been living in and really change her perspective on life and the Revive drug. I really liked seeing Daisy grow and start to question what she's been made to believe her entire life. She does some admirable things and I loved that she stayed real and honest.

Matt and Audrey, the McKean siblings that Daisy befriends are simply wonderful. They're both such open and kind people that it made me smile every time Daisy was with them. The relationship with Daisy and Matt is nothing earth-shattering but it has a sweet and genuine quality that I adored.

Backed up with solid writing and a fascinating premise, Revived is sure to make you question who should really have control over life and death.

Cover Comments: THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A HARRY POTTER REFERENCE. Death. The veil. You knoooooow.

3.5 stars out of 5

4 comments:

  1. WHY HELLLLLO, SONIA'S REVIEW :D

    EEEEEEEE! IT SOUNDS AMAZING! SO AMAZING, I'M GOIGN TO BREAK MY SHIFT KEY. Oooh, I am SO intrigued by the premise and... wow. They're not her real parents? It's fascinating... I'm not even sure it sounds sinister, just... interesting. Perhaps a little morally ambiguous? Sonia, your review = perfect. Exactly what it should do: MAKES ME WANT TO READ THE BOOK NOW NOW NOW!

    ALSO: WE DO NOT MENTION THE VEIL. ESPECIALLY not *YOU*, Lestrange >:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book in on my to-read pile. So I'll be reading this in the coming week or so. Anyway great review! I was a total fan of the author's first book . . . so it seems I'll love this book too judging by the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You does write amazing reviews *smiles* So glad you liked this! I really enjoyed it, such an amazingly unique premise. Although I was expecting something more hugely dystopian, I enjoyed it for the... contemporary feel it had to it? If that makes sense.

    You should definitely read Forgotten too! I liked this, yes, but Forgotten? LOVE!!

    And OMG. THE VEIL. WHY DID I NOT CATCH THAT HARRY POTTER REFERENCE?! I kinda want to give a huge capslock outburst and accuse you of being a murderer and all that horrible stuff, but since Sarah is playing bad cop, I'll lay good cop. OMG. SONIA. YOU AMAZING HUFFLEPUFF! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said on goodreads, I was waiting for your review of this. I LOVED the cover- it's so pretty and OF COURSE IT'S A HARRY POTTER REFERENCE :D Amazing review, Sonia! I want to read it right away. I love what it's all about and can't wait to read about the stuff it deals with. Being revived five times- no joke :0<

    ReplyDelete