Thursday 11 October 2012

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Add to: Goodreads
Source: NetGalley - thank you HT! <3
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Release Date: July 31, 2012

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.
Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.
At first glance, it's easy to mistake Pushing the Limits for another one of those 'issue' books about troubled teens falling in love. Please don't make that mistake. While the novel certainly goes in that direction, the story of Echo and Noah is much deeper and much more powerful than just that.

Told in alternating points of view, I found Pushing the Limits' main strength in its characterization. Echo and Noah were both such complex, layered individuals. Reading their respective pasts didn't feel like a venture into melodramatic territory but rather like a journey into understanding characters made up of devastating and realistic pasts. It was beautiful and heart-warming to watch as Echo and Noah learned to tackle their problems and change for the better.

The romantic aspect of the book is a fairly prominent one and I really enjoyed reading it. Noah isn't the typical 'bad boy' that I expected him to be. The character that I expected to be broody and surly was so obviously and deeply caring and protective toward his family (and eventually Echo) -- my heart melted. That's not to say though that Noah didn't have plenty of teenage boy moments (one more comment about Echo's body and I was going to throw something at him!). He and Echo had chemistry off the charts... if you're into a lot of sexy moments, there 'ya go!

Katie McGarry will have you on the edge of your seat, crossing your fingers and anxiously reading to see how Echo and Noah overcome the obstacles in their paths. Their journey toward healing isn't an easy one but it's portrayed realistically every step of the way.

I don't normally find myself comparing books but I will say that if you enjoyed Perfect Chemistry, I'm pretty confident that you'll like this one as well!

Cover Comments: I don't really have strong feelings for this one either way. There is quite a bit of that going on in the book! ;)

4 Golden Crowns!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeees my heart melted with Noah too! Bad Boy outside but inside he's just wonderful! SO happy you liked it and .. Katie McGarry is phenomenal and I cannot wait to read more from her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah! <3 Haha, I agree with you, Sonia! Noah does make lots of comments about Echo's body, but since it proves how passionate he feels about Echo, I just brush it off! ;) I love how devoted both characters toward each other. You just can feel their love, right? <3 I also think fans of Perfect Chemistry will enjoy this book! :)

    Totally adorable review as always, Sonia! <3 I'm excited that you loved this book as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to be the last reviewer on earth that hasn't read "Pushing the Limits". Curse the slow shipping of my country! Anyway, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree this novel's strength lies in the characterisation. I loved both Echo and Noah and still can't stop thinking about them. I'm so glad you enjoyed this too, Sonia! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!! PUSHING THE LIMITS! I loved this book. Like you, I absolutely agree that the book's strength is in its characterisation. Noah and Echo's relationship was beautifully written and I do agree that fans of Perfect Chemistry might just like this book too ;)

    Awesome review, Sonia ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I've read some bad reviews and had pegged this as one of the bad ones but your review makes me want to read it. Maybe I will... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I agree about Noah. He could be sweet, yet at the same time, I kinda wanted to hit him (HOW many times did he call Echo "baby"?). Glad you enjoyed this one overall though! I gave it the same rating, so I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. I did like the book, but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "one more comment about Echo's body and I was going to throw something at him!"
    BAHAHAHA! YES!

    DJHDFAJF. SONIA. YES. SO YES. I expected... you know, what you expected. But I didn't expect it to be quite so GOOD, with so much FEELING. And... *sigh* I loved it. I'm so so SO glad you did, too! ♥

    Also: the Perfect Chemistry comparison is P E R F E C T. Seriously, it and PTL are bookish SOULMATES.

    ReplyDelete