Friday 22 April 2011

Booking Through Thursday (5) ... on Friday

This week's Booking Through Thursday question is...
CAN you judge a book by its cover?
This is a hard question. First off, I think that anyone that claims not to is lying. It's only natural to form an opinion of some kind from the first glimpse you catch at a book. Sometimes this a great thing and sometimes... not so much.

Truthfully, you can't judge a book by its cover. A lot of the times, a cover is the most fantastic thing you've ever laid eyes on and then the story inside just doesn't do it for you. Sometimes, though, it's the complete opposite! For example, I really don't like the covers of a lot of Tamora Pierce books but she's one of my favourite authors and I'm so glad I decided to give her a try.

Instead of the covers, I think a much better way of finding a stellar book is from recommendations (well hello, book bloggers!) or from just reading that summary.

Final Verdict: While a cool cover will definitely give a book an initial edge, it really has no effect on the story inside.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter loved the Tamora Pierce books...I remember standing on line for more than an hour to get two autographed for her. She still has the alanna series on her bookshelf (she is now in college) :)

    ReplyDelete