Wednesday 13 April 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (5)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine. The purpose of the event is to spotlight the upcoming releases that readers are most looking forward to.

This week, I've chosen...

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins)
Release Date: May 3, 2011

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue-Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is-she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.



During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are-and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

This has been a popular choice for WoW and all the things I've heard about Divergent have been positive. I mean, people have said it's better than The Hunger Games - The Hunger Games! That is absolutely high praise. I just discovered the first 100 pages online so I'll be reading through those later.


This book has been on my mind a lot just from all the great reviews and the interesting concept. Earlier this week, we had a test on diverging mirrors in physics and all I could think was 'diverging? Hey, like Divergent! Yeah, I want to read that book.'

I love the cover because, like trees, I have a weakness for smoke and the background of this one looks pretty cool. Also, the flaming symbol (I have no idea what that is) is really pretty!

From the summary and my limited knowledge of the factions, I would probably categorize myself with something boring like Amity. What about you? What faction do you think you would belong to? What are YOU waiting on this week? 

Let me know! I'd love to hear from you.

9 comments:

  1. That cover is wonderful; hope you enjoy this when it comes out. If I had to pick, I would probably most closely identify with Amity also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this one I've only heard good things about it.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it's as good as The Hunger Games! Though I think The Hunger Games has a slight edge, because it was the first of it's kind. Mockingjay disappointed me though, so I'm full on supporting Divergent! It was absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for this one to come out! I hear it's pretty amazing.

    I'm a new follower and glad I stopped by. Come by and see my WOW:

    Kristi's WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!

    Yeah, I know what you mean about Mockingjay, Liz. I like to pretend there was only the one book... I feel like it was SO amazing and then kind of just went downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing this all over the blog community lately. I didn't even realize it wasn't out yet, LOL. I will definitely add it to my reading pile. And I 3rd what Liz said about The Hunger Games. It feels like everyone's getting all worked up because the movie cast just got released and I can't bring myself to care because the later books disappointed me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower.
    I have heard great things about this book.
    Great pick,
    Erika @ Let's talk about books

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first 100 pages are EPIC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know! I read them yesterday and... wow. That book is intense! Which faction do you think you'd be in? :)

    ReplyDelete