Tuesday 12 April 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Source: Library
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 978-0-06-121465-3
Pages: 328
RULE #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
RULE #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
RULE #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost - regardless of her plans or desires.
-
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.
I actually read this book a few years ago but after re-reading it, I am ready to confirm that it is one of my absolute favourite faerie tales.

The first thing that I have to talk about is the writing. Melissa Marr crafts a beautiful world and I think a lot of that stems from the style with which she writes. The words are lyrical and mesmerizing and there were honestly times I just paused to think 'wow, that was nicely put.'

I also really like the concept of this story. A girl that's seen faeries all her life and now discovers the king of the Summer Court is stalking her? Yes, please! I spent a lot of the book just waiting for the shoe to drop and the faeries to realize that Ash could see them. I liked the pace of the novel which told a great story in which lots occurred but that didn't seem dragged out by any means.

The last thing is the characters. I loved Aislinn and I loved Keenan and Donia and Niall and all the others too but I especially loved Seth. Please excuse me for a moment while I turn into an uncontrollable fangirl and fantasize about him. Right from his introduction to the scene, he was sweet and patient. It was refreshing to see a character that, once introduced to the abnormal, didn't run screaming but instead thought over what he had been told logically. I can't wait to read more of these characters!

The Winter Queen, Beira, who also happens to be Keenan's mother, fit her role perfectly. Her character was cold and ruthless - my favourite type of villain. I loved the contrast and interactions between her and Keenan just because it showed a more vulnerable side of him and an even more cruel one of her. It was interesting to see the way their characters played off of each other. 

Overall, a fabulous must-read!

Cover Comments: I find this cover incredibly stunning. The bluish tint to everything and the vines around the title are unique and the flower covered in... snow?... is beautiful. Complete cover win!

4 comments:

  1. I read this years ago too, and really liked it, but for some reason never read the rest of the series. It's definitely a great faerie story, and I loved all the characters as well! Plus, the cover is one of the prettiest around :). Great review - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same story with me. I knew that there were more books, I just... didn't feel like I needed to read them. The story was complete in itself, you know? I'm reading Ink Exchange now though and really enjoying it :) Not as much as Wicked Lovely (too little Seth ;D) but it's still a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this series! Darkest Mercy is an amazing end. Have you read Holly Black's Tithe/Valient?ironside series? Another great urban faerie tale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Tithe years ago but I think it was a little old for me at that point. I plan on getting back to it now though! I'm eager for more Holly Black after recently reading White Cat (I really need to hurry up and get Red Glove!).

    ReplyDelete