Tuesday 29 March 2011

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton


Publisher: Simon Pulse
ISBN: 9781442409248
Pages: 288

Ari can't help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can't be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it's impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know what she's running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very... different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won't stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
Anyone looking for a different kind of action-packed, mythology story should definitely check this out!
Darkness Becomes Her was just unique in so many aspects. There was the kick-butt heroine, eccentric group of friends, constant action and even the twist you don't see coming.
Ari Selkirk, the main character, shows she's capable of handling herself from page one. I really liked that, throughout the book, she could take care of herself and didn't need to play the part of the damsel in distress to get attention.
I think my favourite character in the book was Violet, one of the kids from New 2. There was just something really appealing about her character; she was sweet, curious and had an obsession with masks - what more could you want?
I didn't actually realize that this book was mythology-based until about halfway through. It hits you fast and hard and I, at least, definitely liked the surprise. It's a different story than the typical ones being explored and even that has a unique twist. Like I said before, the story is jam-packed with action, making for a quick and satisfying read.
If I have one complaint about the book, it's the one I've heard around the blogosphere. Ari and Sebastian meet and it feels like five minutes later; they're kissing. I was a little startled at the quickness of that but at the same time, it wasn't as if they were declaring their undying love for each other. They were just, you know, making out. The relationship smoothes itself out better through the course of the story and I really liked it by the end of the book.   
All in all, a very pleasing read!
Cover Comments: TRESS! And a throne! I definitely like this cover. It has just the right amount of creepy and the font is pretty. It looks like something I'd be in interested in from the cover alone.

1 comment:

  1. I love mythology! I think this definitely sounds like something I'd like. And I agree - really fast relationships annoy me too, but I'm glad this one sorts itself out by the end! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete