Friday 25 November 2011

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Library
Publisher: Point
Release Date: December 29, 2009
Format: Hardcover

Love is all you need…or is it?

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating, so she vows: No more. She’s had one too many bad dates, and has been hurt by one too many bad boys. It’s a personal choice…and soon everybody wants to know about it. It seems that Penny’s not the only girl who’s tired of the way girls change themselves (most of the time for the worse) in order to get their guys…or the way their guys don’t really care about them.

Girls are soon thronging to The Lonely Hearts Club (named after Sgt. Pepper’s band), and Penny finds herself near legendary for her non-dating ways – which is too bad, since the leader of The Lonely Hearts Club has found a certain boy she can’t help but like… 

Let's start with a confession round: I don't like the Beatles. I don't like them at all (sincerest apologies to Penny's parents). I did however really enjoy The Lonely Hearts Club!

I think we all know at least one person - I sure do - that fits what Penny sees all around her school. What that is, is the girl who is so in love with her boyfriend that she's abandoned her other friends, hobbies and really even herself, to be with him. Do you know what I want to do for them? Giftwrap a copy of The Lonely Hearts Club and put it under their Christmas tree.

There is such a fantastic message in this novel. At first glance, the idea of this book comes off as little more than a dramatic way of dealing with heartbreak. As things move along though, it gets so much more meaningful. The Lonely Hearts Club inspires its members to think about themselves for a change and really celebrates how special and unique they all are. Throughout the novel, the girls start to realize that they don't need a guy to define them.

Penny was a very realistic character. She is understandably hurt at the start of the novel, and the way she deals with it is something I could see happening. She makes her fair share of mistakes, but what teenager doesn't? Penny's friends and the other girls in the club were all very relatable - I felt like they could have been my friends!

Finally, a message to everyone reading this: You are so beautiful. I hope you know that you don't need a guy/girl to make you sparkle.

Cover Comments: I like it! I think it represents the diversity of the girls in the club and I like the font for the title.

4 stars

6 comments:

  1. I have picked this book up to buy so many times, and end up getting something else!! I'm going to have to just give in and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you wrote in your first lines - TOTALLY ME. I'm not a fan of The Beatles either, but a fan of this book? Very much so! I loved all the messages the story sent and the way in which it sent them. It was such an enjoyable read and I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by. :) There are so many great books out there...how can we get to them all!

    I loved this book. When I first read the description, I agree with you that I thought it sounded a little overly dramatic...but the book itself was not. Yes, Penny was heartbroken but it was not excessive in my opinion.

    I agree it would be a great present for a lot of girls (and women) out there who lose themselves in their partner.

    Shanan
    http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this cover a long time ago, but didn't plan on reading it. But now, I think I'm going to put this book on my To Be Read list since I like the cover! It's looks nice!! I've always loved Young Adults Realistic ficiton. This will be another good choice! Thank you for sharing!

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY. Another person who doesn't like The Beatles! Do you know how hard it is to live in England and not like The Beatles? You would not believe the amount of dirty looks I've gotten because of it :P. But I do love the sound of this book! Seems like it sending out a great message, plus it sounds really fun as well! Great review Sonia, glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read this book many times and i love this story. Your review is great loved it. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete