Monday 7 November 2011

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Won
Publisher: David C. Cook
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Format: Paperback, 352 pages

Lisa Tawn Bergren's new YA series, River of Time, is romantic, historical fiction in which the plucky heroine doesn't have to fear a vampire's bite but must still fight for her life.

In Waterfall, American teenager Gabi Betarrini accidently finds herself in Fourteenth-Century Italy . . . Knights. Swords. Horses. Armor. And Italian hotties. Most American teens want an Italian vacation, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives there with their archaeologist parents. Stuck on yet another hot, dusty dig, they are bored out of their minds... until they place their hands atop handprints in an ancient tomb and find themselves catapulted into the Fourteenth Century and in the middle of a fierce battle between knights bent on killing one another.

Talk about a fantastic novel! I fell completely in love with Waterfall, and I look forward to reading more by Lisa Bergren.

If you're searching for a realistic teen voice, look no further! Gabi is a smart, tough and determined heroine that I just loved. Even after being launched into Fourteenth-Century Italy, Gabi manages to keep her cool and stay strong. While it quickly becomes clear that Gabi is not like the other girls around (we'll say she's a bit more "adventurous") she still manages to protect herself in that Italian-speaking, sword-wielding way of hers.

Looking for some romance? Step right this way! Marcello is amazing, and I can almost guarantee that you'll love him, too. He manages to be the more commonly accepted gentleman of the time while also accepting that Gabi has her own way of doing things. Gabi and Marcello together were so, so adorable and all of their interactions made me smile.

One of my favourite aspects of this book was the family one! I've said it before, and I have no doubt that I'll do it again, but genuine family connections always bump up a book for me. Throughout the book, Gabi does not waver in her mission to locate her sister, Lia, even when there are other things (read: Marcello) to distract her. It was so obvious how much Gabi and her family cared for each other.

With fantastic characters, an enchanting setting and remarkable dialogue, Waterfall is everything I wanted. Why on Earth have I not read Cascade yet?!

Cover Comments: I really like it! There's something very unique about it. The castle and archway in the background really set the tone for the story and I like the overall look of it.

5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sonia! So glad you've jumped into the River with us! Eager to hear what you think of CASCADE and TORRENT. Working on TRIBUTARY now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Becuase 1) You've finally read this book and 2) YOU LOVED IT <3 This is such an awesome series, I love seeing new people get hooked on it. You must read Cascade asap! Although be warned: Luca will be locked in a fierce battle for a place in your heart. I adore him so much in the next book!

    Love your review, Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm always happy to see another person reading these books! They are, after all, one of my all-time favorite series. I still haven't read Torrent:O I just haven't been able to find it anywhere!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this one on my tbr! Great to hear that Gabi is a realistic teen, she sounds awesome! The romance sounds amazing too, I can't wait to start this one! Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete