Saturday 5 November 2011

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Library
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 390 pages

When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.
After the nail-biting conclusion to Nightshade, readers will be happy to know that Wolfsbane does not delay in picking the story up right where it left off.

Right off the bat, new settings and characters are introduced, all of which make for an exciting read. There is a sense of urgency in the novel even when casual jokes are being made and although I've heard that others found the beginning of the book a bit uneventful, I definitely didn't find that the case. While it's true that the second half is more action-packed, there is still plenty to keep you going for the first.

Now, if you're anything like me, you would have probably wanted more explanation of the history and inner-workings of this fascinating world in the previous book. Thankfully, no such problem exists in Wolfsbane! There is so much rich, detailed history and I loved that we got to learn so much about the Keepers, Guardians and Searchers.

While I did miss Calla's pack a bit, I think the group of Searchers she encounters makes up for it. They were a really dynamic bunch and I enjoyed the friendly way they interacted with one another. Like the wolf pack, some of the Searchers appealed more to me than others - Monroe and Connor, I'm looking at you!

The one problem I had with Wolfsbane is this: Calla.

Look, Cal, I get it. You're super confused about which boy to pick (*cough*REN*cough*) and your life is a total mess. You have the right to be wrong, to make a few bad decisions! Still, I can't help but be annoyed with you. You seem to change your mind every 5 seconds, so much that I would rather you just choose Shay and be done with it. I really wanted to scream and chuck my book at the wall a few times, because I was so appalled by you. Just... try to keep it together? For me? You're still my favourite female Alpha.

Despite the small problems I had with Wolfsbane, I still found it a very enjoyable sequel. I recommend the series to anyone looking for thrilling action and romance set in front of an exquisite historical background.

Cover Comments: I have tried really, really hard to get over the cover change for this series. The first one grew on me a LOT and I really don't mind it now, but I can't get over this book. I find the pose Calla's in very awkward and the colour is so dark that I can barely even see anything. I like dark effects as much as the next person, but not when it takes over the picture!

4 stars

3 comments:

  1. Why don't we just become the spokeswomen for Calla's subconscious? Clearly we'll both make the right choice for her - REN!!! <3

    I loved meeting the Searchers too! Despite missing some of the old pack. And I found all the history really interesting to learn. I'm sort of scared for Bloodrose though.... the end of a series ALWAYS scares me *puts favourite characters in a protective bubble*

    I wish they had kept the old covers, they were gorgeous :(

    Awesome review, Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I haven't started this series yet, but I'm already agreeing with you about Calla. Those heroines that change their minds continuously really get on my nerves! Still, this definitely sounds like a great series, I can't wait to start it! Fab review, Sonia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I agree with you about the covers. I hate the new ones!

    Anyway I haven't actually read these books but I've heard great things about the first one.

    ReplyDelete