Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Pulse It
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 452 pages
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.


It can.


She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.


There is.


She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.


She's wrong.
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is... wow. I don't even really know what to call it. Creepy, romantic and compelling are some of the words that come to mind!

To be honest, I was a little hesitant to read this novel. I kept going back and forth - from some reviews, I thought it would be the crafty tale that it is; but from from others I thought that it would be more of a disturbing thriller. While there are some creepy elements, it makes for an exciting read rather than something that would scare my easily frightened self.

After moving to a new town to get away from the constant scrutiny she is receiving, Mara enrolls at Croyden Academy of the Arts and Sciences for a fresh start. Mara is an interesting character. I related to her easily, even though her situation was so bizarre and the facts surrounding it so blurry. She has a wonderful support system with her brother Daniel and her parents have good intentions, even if they don't always quite know what to do with Mara's situation.

Then we come to my favourite character of the book: Noah. Oh, Noah. Noah is supportive, caring and gorgeous. He's on Mara's side before he fully even understands why he needs to be and... he has a British accent. Seriously, I got into a metaphorical boxing ring with Brodie and Kathy for this boy (I won, obviously).

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is almost impossible to put down. I started it late at night and the first thing I did in the morning was run to my computer to continue. In between cooking my lunch, I kept racing back to the computer to get in a few extra pages. I was obsessed! The plot is quick-paced with little snippets from the past peeled back until you are presented with the honest truth. The pages will fly and before you know it, you'll have reached the end, dying for more. I know I am!

Cover Comments: Now why can't we have more covers like THIS? It's intriguing and striking with a fancy font and Noah Shaw. I think all covers should have more Noah Shaw, don't you? ;)

5 stars 

4 comments:

  1. I love the review! I love this book. I love Mara! I adore Noah. I am totally dying for book two. Can't wait.

    Oh, and for the record....I totally won! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, I almost feel sorry for you girls. Walking away with five broken bones and covered in blood does not mean you won the sexy British boy. Your were obviously too deep in pain to notice us making out in the corner of the boxing ring.

    Anyway, YAY!!! I mean, we might not have been able to stay friends if you disliked this. I soo know what you mean about not being able to stay away from it until you finished.... heck, I couldn't stay away from it AFTER I finished. Love your review!

    Hehe and yes. More covers need to have Noah Shaw! How can you resist that sexy foot? And those ARMS! Damn you Sonia... I've reentered Noah Shaw Giddiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be the only one that has not read this yet. Must. Read. soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To say that this book is simply a Paranormal-Romance or a Psychological Thriller or Mystery or Contemporary Fiction, doesn't really seem to do it justice to me, simply because it's kind of all of these things. It's a word potpourri made of all things awesome, beautiful, chilling, startling, and deeply intimate.

    ReplyDelete