Thursday 29 December 2011

Top Ten Villains in 2011

I have to admit, this was a tough list to create. While I do love my villains, for some reason they weren't really jumping out at me like the book boyfriends did. There's definitely a varying degree of "evil" in my choices since I like a variety but there are also some similarities. Without further ado...

ALL Villains (the Alchemist, the Lady Premiere, Augusta)
Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver

The first thing I have to say is: This is such a fantastic book! The main characters are delightful which only makes it all the more infuriating that the villains are so heartless. Very well done!

-

Eli
Hereafter by Tara Hudson

This is more of a sympathetic villain than the others, I think. While he is pretty twisted, Eli also tugs some heart strings with the explanations of how he got to be the way he is. That is definitely what makes him stand out to me as a villain.

-

Housemaster Vaughn
Wither by Lauren DeStefano

This was the first person that came to mind when I read the topic. Housemaster Vaughn got to me like no other villain on this list from the very beginning. Every time he's mentioned in the book, I feel revolted. I don't even know what exactly it is about him!

-

The Murderer
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

I believe this is the only villain to get his own perspective that I've read about. The parts of The Body Finder with the murderer's POV were definitely the darkest of the book and probably a huge part of why it was so intriguing. Kimberly Derting has a way of making this character seem real.

-

Olivia's Mom - THAT WOMAN...
Clean by Amy Reed

The last thing I want to do is spoil this wonderful book for anyone, but Olivia's mom (that's the mom of one of the kids in rehab) makes me want to bite something. What sort of person does that?! It's just... gah. I can't stand her.

-

Reth
Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Okay, so obviously Reth isn't Chief Villain but I couldn't resist adding him in. He's the strangest combination of lovely and lethal. I'm still hoping to see more of him in Endlessly although I feel Supernaturally explained a great deal.

-

Severin
Firelight/Vanish by Sophie Jordan

This is basically the head of the MC, Jacinda's, people. While I don't think his intentions are completely horrid, he does do things in a way that annoys me. Plus, he's just so creepy!

-

Shayne
My Life Undecided by Jessica Brody

Ahhh, Shayne. She's the best friend of the MC. You might remember that I compared her to Voldemort in my review? She's not actually that bad, it was more just the mood I was in, but I still think she's probably the worst friend to have. Totally selfish.

-

Warner
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

I am so torn on this guy! Obviously, he's a manipulative, disgusting man, but he is also very well written by Mafi in that I know where he's coming from. I can see why he has turned out "evil" and I don't even want to blame him for it. I neeeeeed more Warner in the next installment!

-

The Society/The Officials/The Government/That Creepy Group
ALL DYSTOPIANS!

This was the year for dystopians and I loved them! One thing they pretty much all have in common is that group that runs the world by making everyone else's life hell. Whether they're closely identified or just a distant, looming threat, I think all of them deserve to be up here.

Who freaked you out in YA this year? Any important ones that I missed?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. My first thought when read the title of this post in Google Reader was "Eeeeexcellent" Mr. Burns style :P

    I so want to read Leisl & Po soon! I don't read much MG, but it's Lauren Oliver <3 Definitely Eli, Reth, the creepy murderer in TBD and that a-hole Vaughn. But Warner... UGGGGHHH!!! Stupid author making stupid layered characters who you stupidly don't know exactly how to feel about. Some of the things he did were god damn awful, but there is something fascinating about that man. *shakes him out of frustration*

    Awesome list! I think I'd also add Hank Miller from Silence (he is a twisted man) and Incy from Darkness Falls (a very messed up man).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eli & TBF murder are ultimate villains. I haven't read the others yet. I better get cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh. Reth.. He's like Warner. Hot but evil. I can't wait to read Supernaturally!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaahhh...I haven't read Liesl & Po! It looks awesome though. I might be weird but I actually like Reth and Warner. (Okay, I AM WEIRD) Anyway, great picks!! I still haven't read all the books in your list yet so have to add it to my TBR! Thank you for sharing! Hope 2011 has been a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warner! That guy. He is complicated, to say the least. He definitely deserves to be on this list. The Murderer was SO creepy, and I agree with the last one too - all governments in dystopians are shady. Very shady. Haven't read a lot of the ones you mentioned but I am intrigued by My Life Undecided now! :P. Great list :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really funny post :)

    Your description of Olivia's Mom had me laughing out loud!

    These villians clearly brought out strong feelings -- sign of great characterization I guess.

    Hope you have a fun New Year's weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that the villian got his own perspective in The Body Finder - interesting yet creepy!

    ReplyDelete