Thursday 8 December 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Add it: Goodreads
Source: Won (Inkpop)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 4, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 435 pages

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side. 
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny? 
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
Do you know those books that make you completely lose track of time? The ones that you start, and then realize you've totally plowed through like three hours later? Unearthly is one of those books.

I am so in love with this novel. It has all the elements I need for sparkles and rainbows in my mind: great writing, FABULOUS characters, realistic emotion, vibrant setting... need I go on?

Clara is a marvellous main character in that she's just so normal (mostly). Due to her angel genes, Clara is smarter, faster and stronger than her classmates, but it doesn't make her invincible. She still struggles with making friends and the right choices. She's friendly, funny and can stand up for herself. In short, Clara just rocks.

Then we have the boys: Christian and Tucker. Now, I like Christian. I think he's a nice guy - honourable, kind and just generally nice. He treats Clara well. Tucker, though, is... WOW. Now, maybe like me, you've heard all about this Tucker and how "amazing" he is. When we were first introduced to his character, I was less than impressed. That guy? THAT'S the amazing Tucker? Oh my goodness though. I fell in love with Tucker before I even knew what was happening. There is just something about that friendly cowboy that I find so endearing. I want more Tucker, please! Him and Clara are too adorable.

The angel mythology of this book is stellar. It's all revealed gradually throughout the book and I get the sense that there is a lot more to come, but I did love what little I learned. Clara's mom (half-angel) is the one with all the secrets but she's very tight-lipped and leaves us, for the most part, in the dark. Still though, I'm excited to learn all about the Intangere (full angel), Dimidius (half-angel), Quartarius (quarter angel - like Clara!)... everything!

So in addition to every other person on the planet many readers, Unearthly now comes with my stamp of approval. Read it and be sucked into the land of angels and TUCKER!

Cover Comments: I LOVE IT <3 <3 <3 I know it looks a little washed-out online but in person? It is so beautiful. It's shiny and bright and purple and just so, so lovely. I just hope that the 2nd book looks as good IRL!

5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Tucker! <3 <3 <3. Welcome to the fanclub. I was the same as you - when he was first introduced, I was like "Erm...what's the fuss here?" Then he gradually grew on me...and bam! Tucker love. So glad you enjoyed this one - fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG am I *the* ONLY person in the entire world to have not read this book?? Great review Sonia, totally made me want to grab a copy right the hell NOW!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEE! TUCKER! Same with you and Liz, I was like, "Huh? Am I reading the same Tucker as everyone else?" I LOVE how he creeps into your heart, unsuspecting <3 Brilliant review! SOO happy you loved this!! And now we endure the short, YET tormenting wait until Hallowed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygawd! TUCKER! I fell in love with that boy so fast it wasn't even funny. Well, in the beginning I was like "you a##!" but then later you could have scrapped me off the sidewalk. I was just goo for that boy. (and he's fictional *sighs*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this book lately! Wonderful review;it makes me want to get it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these amazing reviews of Unearhtly makes me want to re-read it again! I actually didn't like Unearhtly when I finished it, but I think I've slowly grown to not hate it anymore as time has passed...Yes! I loved the angel mythology aspect of the book too! It was quite interesting to gradually learn everything. Fantastic review <3 I'm officialy eager for Hallowed now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't this good?? I didn't read it initially because I'm so not into angel books, but this one blew me away. I read it a month or two ago because so many people were freaking out over the ARCs of Hallowed. I'm so glad I read it, because it was really good. And I had the same reaction to Tucker at first. I was like "ok, everyone is freaking out over him... he must get better". Also I loved how both Christian and Tucker are good guys. =)

    ReplyDelete