Saturday 3 December 2011

Wherever You Go by Heather Davis

Wherever You Go by Heather Davis
Add it: Goodreads
Source: Thomas Allen & Son (ARC)
Publisher: Harcourt
Release Date: November 14, 2011
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages

Seventeen-year-old Holly Mullen has felt lost and lonely ever since her boyfriend, Rob, died in a tragic accident. The fact that she has to spend most of her free time caring for her little sister and Alzheimer’s-stricken grandfather doesn’t help. But Holly has no idea that as she goes about her days, Rob’s ghost is watching over her. He isn’t happy when he sees his best friend, Jason, reach out to help Holly with her grandfather—but as a ghost, he can do nothing to stop it. Is his best friend really falling for his girlfriend? 
As Holly wonders whether to open her heart to Jason, the past comes back to haunt her. Her grandfather claims to be communicating with the ghost of Rob. Could the messages he has for Holly be real? And if so, how can the loved ones Rob left behind help his tortured soul make it to the other side? 
Told from the perspectives of Holly, Jason, and Rob, Wherever You Go is is a poignant story about making peace with the past, opening your heart to love, and finding the courage to move forward into the light.

Wherever You Go packs a heavy punch of emotion. With carefully chosen words and a fantastic set-up, it's no wonder that Heather Davis managed to ensnare me in Holly's world.

This novel is told from 3 different perspectives: Holly, Rob and Jason. This alone would usually be enough to give me something to love but with the 1st person, 2nd person and 3rd person, it definitely gave it an edge. The inclusion of Rob in 2nd person was a marvellous idea and it was so interesting to be able to put yourself in the place of a ghost.

Holly's personal story is really the thing that I liked most about this book. Her family is struggling to make ends meet and Holly has so much pressure on her to hold everything together. It is heartbreaking to see her try and balance Rob's death, school, taking care of her little sister, helping with her Alzheimer-stricken grandfather and sorting out the relatively new prescence of Jason in her life. Through of all of it, Holly's strength and kindness shine through.

The emotion conveyed in this novel is pitch-perfect. Rob's journey in particular is an emotional one, as he tries to figure out what exactly he should be doing now that he's left the ranks of the living. There is justifiable confusion in all of the characters and it was a well-paced progression to the places where they could deal with it.

Wherever You Go is remarkably real, even as slight paranormal elements come into play.

Cover Comments: I like it! The ARC I have has really washed-out colours, a lot more than the pictures online. It makes me curious to see what the finished hardcover looks like. Of course, that Laini Taylor blurb does wonders for the cover as well ;)

4.5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Laini Taylor blurb. Sonia review-of-awesome. If that's not a sure fire way to get a book to sell, I don't know what is.

    Very intriguing that she's not only told the story through 3 different perspectives, but in 1st, 2nd, 3rd person... I'm curious to see how that works out! This sounds like such an emotionally moving novel and I love when paper and words strangle my heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover! I don't read this kind of book, but it sound quite interesting! I stared at the cover for ten seconds! Lol. Great mailbox! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review!!! I love teh fact that this book is written in multiple perspectives. It sounds soooo emotional!!! Love it :)

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    Win a GLOW audiobook!

    International 300 Follower Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover! I don't usually read these kinds of books, but it does sound like a emotionally gripping read and I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the three-different-types-of-POV-in-one concept caught my interest and ran away with it. Once I've got it back, though, I'm definitely going to have to read this -- even though this style of book usually isn't my slice of cake. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brodie: Haha, oh yeah ;) That was totally part of the marketing plan.

    Sam: It is a beautiful cover! I love the bright colours, but how they're still faded.

    Jaskirat: Thank you! What I liked was there were different types of emotions. I'll be sure to check those out!

    Renu: If you do end up reading it, let me know! :)

    Jenna: I know what you mean... At first, I thought only the prologue would be in 2nd person and I was kind of disappointed. It was really interesting to read in that style! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete