Monday 26 December 2011

Top Ten Books of 2011

Yikes, yikes, yikes! In my typical fashion, I completely spaced out on the fact that TODAY is the day this lovely week-long event (hosted by Confessions of a Bookaholic, A Life Bound by Books, Fiktshun and Two Chicks on Books - like how I slipped that in there?) starts. Anyways, with less than an hour (in my time zone) remaining, I should probably get started!

Update at time of actual post: Um, apparently it takes really long to post something like this even when you've already picked out a list. So I am now a day late! Whoops!

Narrowing down this list to ten was REALLY, REALLY HARD. I have loved so many books this year... 2011 was definitely a good one! In no particular order, I present to you:

The Top Ten Books I've Read in 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
My Review

Okay, I said this was in no particular order but that's a lie. This is definitely my number one for the year. If you haven't yet, reeeeeeaaaad it! I will be sending you subliminal messages! My recommendation will surely reach you! Do yourself a favour and experience the magic!


Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
My Review/Love Letter

This book is absolutely gorgeous (as is the author, I love herrrr). The writing sparkles, the characters dazzle, the world-building shines and can you tell I'm on a glitter kick?


Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
My Review

Stephanie Perkins' words make me melt like chocolate. I am always so happy when I'm her books, I love it! LOLA was even better than ANNA for me which is quite an impressive feat. Definitely one of my favourites of the year!


Divergent by Veronica Roth
My Review

I remember this book pre-release. It seemed to me like everyone was going kind of insane for it but I still wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. Then I found out the author was coming to a signing literally 5 minutes from me and I just had to. THANK YOU, UNIVERSE! I stayed up way too late reading this book and I loved every minute of it. Plus, bonus: the author is delightful and liked my "tattoo" (Amity written with permanent marker on my arm... Lauren Oliver thought it was an actual tattoo.)


Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My Review

Okay, I said Delirium but really, any of Lauren's books can work here. I read all of them this year and each one made it to my favourites. Lauren Oliver is a genius with words and well, everything else in that whole writing area. Looking forward to more more more!


The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
My Review

This series... READ. IT! unless you already have, in which case, good for you! It is charming and adventurous with faeries and magic and one of my favourite romances! Ash is in this book! In fact, Ash narrates this book! <3 Just... loved it so much.


Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren
My Review

This book has so many great things going for it. The main character is very relatable, which is always important to me, and the plot takes interesting turns. Just the entire concept for me was fun and exciting. Besides, all the battle scenes (swords, hand-to-hand combat, ARCHERY!) excite me.


The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
My Review

I've always loved fairytales and folklore... all that good stuff. That is what The Near Witch was like for me. With the seriously stunning prose (you guys, I was in awe) and pretty spooky storyline, this definitely makes my top ten of 2011.


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My Review

I adored this book so much. It brought up a million different emotions in me and I just feel like it was one I really connected to. That itself is kind of weird, since I have thankfully never been put in Mia's situation (or anything even close to it). The characters were amazing as well - I loved Mia's family and friends (ADAM).


Red Glove by Holly Black
My Review

I love the Curse Workers series! It's creative and original with characters that come to life when you read about them and stakes that seem to just keep raising. Cassel is an awesome MC and it's nice to read from a male's perspective every once in a while. It's also nice to read from the perspective of someone that comes from a family of cons - how often do you see THAT?

Honourable Mentions
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Matched by Ally Condie
Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

(probably more that I am forgetting)

6 comments:

  1. I am still so insanely jealous you and Honey got to meet Veronica and Lauren!!!! They're two of my new favourite authors. And omgyestonearlyallofthebooksonyourlist. DOSAB was just... I blank whenever I try to describe this. So I just like to say HELLO! <3

    LOVE Shatter Me, Lola, Iron Knight and Waterfall. SO happy I got hooked on the Iron Fey series! I desperately need to read The Near Witch and Holly Black's books. Plus I have a copy of Where She Went which is crying my name.

    How is it possible these authors keep producing such brilliantly unique books? A gazillion years after the first one was ever told and they're still fresh and addictive.... *mind explodes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a few of the same books! Awesome list!

    Jess @ Gone with the Words
    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh such good choices!! I adored Shatter Me & Divergent. Waterfall is so good as well, and Delirium is just heartwrenching and awesome. And If I Stay!! Yes, so freaking good. Awesome choices! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very fond of this information thanks for sharing with us
    cara alami menyembuhkan kanker paru stadium 1-4

    ReplyDelete