Friday 6 April 2012

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

SPOILERS FOR WITHER (BOOK 1) IN THIS REVIEW!


Add it: Goodreads
Source: Library
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format: Hardcover, 341 pages
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

In a story that is just as, if not more, bone-chilling and evocative as its predecessor, Fever makes for a stunning sequel.

If you thought that the excitement was over with Wither, think again. Even though Rhine and Gabriel have managed to escape the mansion, the 'real world' is no less frightening and they soon find themselves in the hands of a twisted ringmistress. In her domain, the 'carnival' is more of a brothel and things don't look so great for Rhine and Gabriel.

Rhine is such a strong heroine. In a world where life is precious and there isn't time to lose, I find it so refreshing that she takes charge of the situation and acts despite the fear she may feel. It's said a couple of times in the novel that Rhine likes to take care of everyone and I think it's a pretty accurate statement. I can't wait to see where Rhine leads the story in the next book!

This series is one of the few with a love triangle where I can honestly say I find myself conflicted in which guy I prefer. Gabriel is caring and sweet but also kind of dull for me. Linden has some unidentifiable quality that I like but then there's the obvious reasons of him being so naive that I can't get over. I guess I don't really feel like either of these guys are worthy of Rhine yet... I'll be happy with whoever she picks.

One thing that I can see myself repeating over and over again is that I am in love with Lauren DeStefano's writing. It's elegant and gorgeous and I love how she can bring out the hope in one of the most bleak universes I've ever read about. Speaking of bleak... Housemaster Vaughn is back and creepy as ever! The story definitely has an edge of terror with him as an ever-looming threat and I love to hate him.

Magnificent!

Cover Comments: When this cover was first revealed, I think all of us were a little startled. I mean, the colours are kind of bizarre and what is up with Rhine? Now that I've read the book though, I have to say that I think it's perfect.

There are spoilers below if you haven't yet read the book:

A guy I was talking to actually said that Rhine looked like she had been drugged and was having hallucinations. I guess the cover gets the desired reaction, eh? ;)

5/5

(What do you guys think of the crowns? I've been trying to come up with something to use for my rating system and I'm trying this one out. Feedback is, as always, very much appreciated!) 

14 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm actually a little scared to read Fever, because Wither was one of those books that just gave me anxiety as I read, and even though I loved it, it was emotionally exhausting! I don't know if I could do that again. I really want to read Fever, because I want to know what happens, but I might just wait until the 3rd book comes out so I can read everything straight through.

    -Ashley
    What's Your Story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably the first positive book review I've read for this sequel so far. Finally a 5 stars one! I adored Wither and I'm sooooooooooo very much looking forward to Fever. Thanks for sharing! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loove the crowns :D they are so awesome! I was wondering if they were always there before I went to the next line where you asked for feedback :D And haha, I know the cover made more sense after reading the book! I loved the book too! I liked Wither a little more but Rhine was definitely so strong and admirable in this one! Gabriel is okay but I'm definitely Team Linden! There's this innocence about him! I just want someone to take care of him!

    I liked your conclusion too: that Rhine is better than both of them... Haha! And seriously, Vaughn is creepy awesome :D yet creepy -_- I can't believe there is just one more book to go :'( Great review, Sonia! Totally brought the anticipation back xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. A part of me wants to read this series, but the other part is too creeped out by the concept. Still, I'm glad that you're digging the series and that the love triangle is WORKING IT.

    AND I LOVE YOUR NEW RATING SYSTEM. The crowns are so in it's unreal. I LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually posted my review of Fever today! I did enjoy it, but still liked Wither better. Although I can' wait for the next book to find out what happens to Rhine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I have got to get a copy of this already. It sounds just as amazing as Wither - even if it wasn't, I'd still want to read it for Lauren's beautiful writing <3 So intrigued, yet scared for them getting caught up in this twisted circus and ugh, Housemaster Vaughn is deliciously creepy. I NEED TO SEE WHAT HE HAS PLANNED.

    Damn you and your fabulous reviews. Making bookwroms needy since March 2011. OMG IT WAS YOUR BLOGOVERSARY LAST MONTH! HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY, STORY QUEEN SONIA!! <3

    And your crowns? They are royally rocking. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bleurgh, you like Linden? Sonia, Sonia, Sonia. I'm judging you. To be fair, I haven't read Fever yet, so I have no idea if he gets any better than in book one - but still. Ack. I felt bad for him, but I just cannot consider him a serious love interest :P. Anyway, really glad you liked this book! Can't wait to read it. Great review :).

    Also, agree with Brodie. Your crowns are rockin' ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. EEEEP! I just finished this book yesterday, read the book straight after I finished Wither but I was actually a bit disappointed with Fever. I wasn't quite hooked into the story like Wither and I wished Linden and Vaughn was a bit more in the book. The ending was what I've been waiting for when reading the book! It was so exciting and made me so anxious for the 3rd book!

    Awesome review, Sonia! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    PS: Like Brodie said, YOUR CROWNS ARE ROCKING MY SOCKS OFF! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH! Oh my gosh, what a perfect review for a perfect book, Sonia! I'm so in love with Lauren DeStefano's writing too (I can only wish that I was that good!). And I have to agree with you completely about the cover! At first I thought it was startling and pretty yet still kind of random, but post-Fever-reading, it is definitely the most perfect cover they could've made for it. The merry-go-round horse actually had something to do with the story! :)

    AMAZING review, Sonia! <3

    P.S. I absolutely love the crowns!! They're so awesome and perfect and kind of threatening -- like "here are five pointy stars, you MUST read this book!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to read Wither so I skimmed this review but I can tell you really are in love with this series. I have heard very so-so reviews on Fever so I had my doubts about even starting this series but now I think it is actually worth my time.

    Thanks for the great review, hope you like book three even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!!

    Glad you liked the book. I loved Wither, so am looking forward to seeing how I feel about Fever:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. BELLATRIX! I MEAN LESTRANGE! I MEAN SOOOONIIIIAAAAA!
    GREAT review!
    I still haven't read Wither (but I know the deal, so don't worry about spoilers :P) but you're seriously convincing me to pick it up. Oh, especially with your comments on the triangulation of luuuurve and Lauren's writing. WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had been waiting for this book to come out. I enjoyed Wither, even more so the second time I read it. I was curious to see what would happen to Rhine. I expected Fever to be good, but this was better than I had even hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bought this book for my significant other. She blew through it in less than a week. Great buy for an avid reader!

    Cleo Rogers Canadian Gift Basket Company

    ReplyDelete