Monday 23 April 2012

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

My Fair GodmotherMy Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Library
Publisher: Walker BFYR
Format: Hardcover, 311 pages
Release Date: January 6, 2009

Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience!
After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah's gum-chewing, cell phone-carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she's only Fair--because she's not a very good fairy student--Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah's class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy. 

My Fair Godmother will have you smiling in no time with its relatable cast of characters and fun, lighthearted plot.

Savannah is your typical popular high school girl. When we first meet her, she comes off as sweet but rather ditzy. She's more focused on clothes and boys than her grades and she seems to have a penchant for lateness. Still, it's clear almost immediately that Savannah is a caring person despite her occasional cluelessness and it makes it even more difficult to read when her boyfriend dumps her for her older, more mature sister. Reading through this novel provided me with one of my favourite reading aspects: character development! We get to see Savannah turn from this irresponsible girl into one that's infinitely more mature, rational and dependable. I loved the new Savannah and I was cheering loudly by the time the trials at the end of the book took place!

The plot in this book is just insane. Savannah's Fair Godmother reminded me a bit of Ella from Ella Enchanted in that she doesn't seem to get anything right! It's hilarious and amusing to read about Savannah's adventures into the past and I loved how Janette Rallison incorporated some fairytale stories. The plot progressed at a captivating speed with great writing and was just pure FUN.

I can see how it would be easy to hate Savannah's sister for stealing her boyfriend. I mean, what kind of big sister does that?! You really get a feel for all of the characters though and I loved that we got to understand them better than just what Savannah saw on the surface. Tristan, the poor boy that gets mixed up in the mess and is sent to the Middle Ages, was a perfect blend of irritating and irresistible. Even the characters that don't share as much page space were memorable... personally, I loved the seven dwarves (the way that they spoke to Snow White was just wonderful). Who knows, maybe you'll end up falling for the mysterious Black Knight!

All in all, a delightfully entertaining read of love, magic and humour.

Cover Comments: I love the crossed out 'Fairy' haha. Poor Chrissy to have that constant reminder looming over her head (HA. It is literally over her head here, you see? As always, I must ask you excuse my lameness). Loving the hair and the outfit!

4 stars out of 5

23 comments:

  1. I just adore this book. A most favorite of mine. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I'm glad you like it too! :) I need to read more of Janette's books.

      Delete
  2. How is it that I've never heard of this awesome book Sonia the Story Queen loves? ;P

    I need to add this to my TBR and haha, I love the crossed out 'Fairy' too!

    Awesome review, Sonia! ♥ Keep rockin' those crowns! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O_O I don't... I don't know! AT LEAST IT'S FIXED NOW! <3 Thank youuu :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE your review, Sonia! This seems like sucha a lovely and fun book! Plus, the hair! What kind of fairy er fair godmother has pink hair?? It's just SO COOL! x)

    I really need to add this to my wishlist! Oh, poor Tristan, getting dragged along to the mess! And I agree, big sister doesn't steal their little sister's boyfriend! It's just unforgivable!

    Brilliant review, Sonia! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! <3 I know, right? The description of the fair godmother was very different from what I'm used to, that's for sure.

      I can't even imagine how my sister would react if I stole her boyfriend. And... ew. That's just kind of gross to even think about, dating someone that was with my sister. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any other reviews apart from yours, but I am 114% SOLD!! This sounds so much FUN! And I love that there is clear, definite character growth. I love me a protagonist who LEARNS. Tristan gets sent back to the Middle Ages? LOL. This, I have to read.

    And I kinda love how vibrant the cover is! BRLLIANT review, Sonia, super excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly that's a really scientific number... glad I could help! :D FUN FUN AND MORE FUN, that's what this book is. LOL yes. Poor Tristan. Thank you!!

      Delete
  5. This one sounds so fun! And cute! And just...I don't know. It gives off happy-awesome vibes :P. So glad you liked it! I LOVE that there's character development. That makes a book for me :D. Fab review, Sonia. And the cover is awesome. I luuurve it :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, YOU give me happy-awesome vibes <3 Yes, yes, yes. Character development is always appreciated and this one delivers :) Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a cute read! I've been debating on whether or not I should get it for awhile now but your review has finally pushed me over, I have to get this! It sounds like the perfect poolside read for this summer. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR SURE. I've been in such a mood for just fluffy, breezy summer reads lately and this one was perfect. Hope you like it! <3

      Delete
  7. This sounds really cute and fun! Probs not the sort of book I'd read but it seems like a great afternoon read, and Savannah and Christy both sound pretty awesome. Plus, bonus points for character development

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah... I don't know if this one would be your kind of book, Cait :P WOOOO character development!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like fun an the cover is so cute. I am glad that you liked it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEEEEEEE! This sounds like so SO much fun, and with all the magic gone wrong, all I can think of is Hermione turning into a half cat thingy lady instead of... *hates self* I can't remember if it's Pansy of Millicent?

    And on that talk of cats, one of mine just attacked the other to get my attention, because she's a brat, and she wants dinner >:(

    URGH. SO. AMAZING review! Sounds like SOOOO much fun! Fab review <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! How gorgeous is the cover! I love the sound of this book. Definitely one I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this book by Jannette Rallison! I loved her book Just One Wish so I have a feeling I'll love this one too. It sounds fun and hilarious! I like reading lighthearted stories. Thanks for the lovely review, I'm definitely adding this on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover is gorgeous! And the plot sounds hilarious! Savannah sounds like a really sweet character. Someone I'd definitely sympathize with! Can't wait to read this one, it sounds like so much fun :D Fabulous review, Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review! This book has been on my list for a while now, but I'm going to put it higher! It seems great :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I greatly enjoyed this one when I read it because it was so fun and different! I still have yet to buy the second book but I am still excited to read it.

    I'm so glad you ended up liking this one.

    Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's your favorite chapter and why

    ReplyDelete