Friday 13 April 2012

The Storm Makers by Jennifer E. Smith

The Storm Makers
The Storm Makers by Jennifer E. Smith

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Publisher for review
Publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Release Date: April 3, 2012

Enter the world of The Storm Makers, where there's magic behind every forecast.
What starts as an ordinary summer turns exciting and perilous for twins Ruby and Simon when strange occurrences begin happening on their farm -- sudden gusts of wind, rainstorms, and even tornado warnings -- that seem eerily timed to Simon's emotions.
Then a stranger arrives and tells the twins that Simon is a Storm Maker -- part of a clandestine group of people entrusted with controlling and taming the weather -- and that he is in great danger. Soon Simon and Ruby must race against the clock as they try to master Simon's powers in time to stop a rogue Storm Maker's treacherous -- and potentially deadly -- plans.
In this thrilling new adventure, loyalties can shift as quickly as the wind... and the ordinary can turn extraordinary in the blink of an eye.
Enter the world of The Storm Makers, where there's magic behind every forecast.
Ruby and Simon are having a typical summer. They're adjusting to a somewhat new city, the weather is just a little too hot and they're not as extraordinarily close as they were before, but for the most part, nothing too out of the ordinary has happened.

Until it does.

A real page-turner, The Storm Makers guides you through Ruby's life as she tries to adjust to the fact that her brother has the ability of control the weather. As I was reading this novel, I kept thinking to myself that it was such as interesting direction to have taken to have RUBY as the main focus of the story rather than Simon. In this case, I think that decision worked out really well and it was fascinating to get a peek into the mind of someone privy to all the action but not necessarily going through it first-hand. Ruby was such a great character: level-headed, logical and firm in her beliefs. I love that there was initially some jealousy of her brother's power but always also a love for him and desire for him to succeed. I love reading about twins!

If you're into magic, this is a book for you. I've always been intrigued by the elements and stories about people that worked with them on a magical level and so this was really a hit for me. I was so hooked on discovering some inside facts about the world of weather control and I really hope that this book has a sequel so that I can learn more!

Despite the fantastical elements, The Storm Makers seems a realistic and relatable novel in the characters and the progression of their talents. I can't wait for more!

Cover Comments: Sarah (saz101) mentioned that she thought this looked "Van Gogh-licious" and is that not SPOT-ON? I think so.

3 comments:

  1. Great review!! I added it to my TBR list. I'm a new follower and just wanted to drop by and say hi :)

    Feel free to check out my blog & follow too!!

    -Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer! E! Smith! That's enough to hook me in alone, even if MG novels aren't my usual thing. And then I read Sonia's amazing review and why hello TBR, you're growing awfully big lately.

    Ever since Storm, I definitely want to see some more weather-type abilities in books, so I was excited to see you mention that! Ruby sounds like such a great heroine and I like, as you say, the focus on her rather than Simon. Should make things interesting!

    So eager to read this now, FABULOUS REVIEW SONIA! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe! Did I actually say that? You know... it really DOES sound like something I'd say :D

    Oooh, I love that this is from the POV of the NON magical character! Such an unusual choice, and MAGIC AND ELEMENTS! Oh my goodness, yes. After reading Storm, doubly intrigued.
    Sonia, AMAZING review. I LOVED TSPOLAFS, and I was seriously thinking of reading it, and then I wasn't sure, and OMG NOW I AM! Onto the TBR it goes. I don't regret it all :D

    ReplyDelete