Sunday 3 June 2012

Adventures in Transit

So as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I do a lot of my reading in any of the spare time that I can find. With a 30-60 minute ride to and from school, that's a lot of potential reading time. Which is awesome! And... not so much.

I'm a pretty emotional reader.


So when I'm reading say... Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and burst into tears on the bus

image
Source: GPBD

I often get treated to... this

image
Source: Darling, It's True

Does this ever happen to you? I seem to pick THE WORST books/moments to read about on public transport (which I only take a couple of times a week at most) because it always seems to happen to me. Maybe it's my destiny to entertain people with my embarrassing sob fests? ;) It's just so awkward though when the very sweet person next to you looks both confused and terrified and I have to try to assure them through thoughts of 'NO, he can't be dead!' that I'm fine really, it's just the book. That only ever seems to work with other readers....

But hey, let's not forget the insane laughter!

image
Source: Scar Rune Sword Arrow
So, this is me and David Tenant makes the best for the best gifs ever.

Normally (and most notably) it's my family that has to deal with my crazy laughter during long car rides when I'm reading a novel. I think this is most annoying for them because they don't know what I'm laughing at and on the rare day that I share the joke, they do not find it funny. At all. So they have to suffer through my (totally obnoxious) laughter all the time. I feel for them. 

I talk. And talk. And talk...

Okay, so not even looking at the way that I shut everyone out when I read, I have this tendency to RANT. My family and some friends tell me all the time that sometimes when I start on a huge monologue, breathing seems to become unnecessary and I just don't shut up or allow for pauses until I'm done. Most of the time this happens when I'm annoyed about something (as in ranting about... I don't know, water privatization) but when I get started on books? GOOD LUCK. 

image

I AM THE THING THAT WOULDN'T SHUT UP. 

And there we are! Do you have any stories of things you do while reading and travelling? I would loooove to hear them!

9 comments:

  1. DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR
    DOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTORDOCTOR!!!!

    I'm sorry, did you say something? I saw nothing after the first Ten GIF O_____O

    I'm pretty OK. I'm totally an emotional reader, but I think I've managed to avoid crying on public transport so far... maybe because the books I'm crazy obsessed with enough to cry over, I devour in one sitting at home? I *HAVE* laughed on the train before... and I knwo I stupid-grin... and I gt SO EMBARRASSED O___O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALSO. I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN HOW LITTLE I WOULD CARE IF THE PERSON STARING ON THE TRAIN WAS THE DOCTOR. I WOULD CRASH TACKLE HUG HIM, AND THEN THERE WOULD BE A WHOLE DIFFERENT LOT OF STARING.

      Delete
  2. I'm not really an emotional reader... I've not really cried at a book. I can laugh when reading but that's about it, hehe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't read in public. I never know when a book is going to hit me and make me emotionally unstable :P. So I try to avoid reading when other people can see me...I think it's the best system for me :P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness YES YES YES YES a million times YES!! I'm a little bit better now at predicting which books ones are bad to read in public (a.k.a. They make you LOL, grin like crazy, and/or bawl your eyes out), but some books still end up taking me surprise and make me cry in public which is infinitely more embarrassing than laughing at books in public!

    Yes, I cry at books in public. But only for sad ones -- If I Stay by Gayle Forman especially. Gosh, I bawled like a baby for that book LOL! (If you've read it, we can tear up together. If not, you need to ASAP!)

    I looooooove reading about your adventures, Sonia! And seeing all of your awesome GIFs, because GIFs make everything better ;)

    P.S. I think we're going to have an Ontario Blog Squad meeting soon! I have no idea when or where or how (although I do know why: because we're awesome, of course!), but eeeeeeeeeeee, that means we can share silly stories in person soon!!! I CAN'T WAIT, SIS! :') <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IF I STAY. IT WAS AMAZING AND HEART-WRENCHING AND JUST AHHHHHH <3 This is why you're my book twin :')

      It's November 3rd, I think! I CAN'T WAITTTTTT!!! <3

      I WANT TO MEET YOU! :D

      Delete
  5. Ahahaha, I love this post! I don't really read in public, but I can totally identify with you on the "annoying family with my emotional reaction to what's happening" point and the "thing that wouldn't shut up" point. Over the years, my mother has patiently listened to SO MANY summaries of whatever book I happen to be reading at the time/have just finished, just so I have someone to talk to about it. And by 'summary' I mean, 'painfully detailed page-by-page account, complete with painfully detailed commentary on what COULD have happened but DIDN'T'. My family are pretty used to hearing cackles of laughter/wails of despair (Gayle Forman's "If I Stay", I'm looking at you) floating out of my room on a regular basis. I am so lucky to have been born into the family I was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me laugh! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Shane
    new follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. That always sounds crazy to me.... such a long ride to and from school. All my life I've lived in areas where it takes 10-15 minutes tops to drive anywhere. I don't think I'd survive in a big city! THE TRAFFIC! THE HAVING TO WAKE UP EXTRA EARLY TO GET ANYWHERE!

    Anyway! I can be a really emotional reader too, but given my above statement about it not taking long to get anywhere, I don't often read on public transport. When I DO sneak in a few chapters, I make sure they're not from the end of a book, which is usually the emotionally heaviest. AND OMG YOU SOUND LIKE MEEEEEEEEEEEE. The sharing the joke with other people and they just don't GET IT! And so I suggest they read the effing book then! That never works out well, though.

    I also have a habit of.. er... talking. And talking and talking and talking :D I wonder which of us would dominate a conversation!

    ALSO: *stalker reads above comments* OMG IF SONIA AND MIMI MEET, WE MUST HEAR ABOUT IT! You two are like... the Queens of Canada Book Blogging. So if you exist in the same room, your loyal readers better hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete