Saturday 9 June 2012

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Add it: Goodreads
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Purchased
Format: Hardcover, 421 pages
Release Date: August 23, 2011

The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

Vampire Academy is one of my all-time favourite series. So why did I wait so long to read Bloodlines? NO IDEA.

Luckily, I have some very convincing friends* that shoved the book into my hands and made me read it (er, figuratively). Once I started, I fell into the familiar Richelle Mead zone where anything and everything outside that story in front of you might as well just be non-existent.


Sydney Sage is definitely not Rose Hathaway and I don't say that as a bad thing. She's very smart and very analytical but on the flip side, her social skills are a little lacking at times. It is utterly fantastic and charming that Sydney could be spouting out obscure historical details one minute and then acting adorably clueless about boys and dates the next. I can already see the ways that Sydney is being challenged to question her previously cemented ideals and beliefs and I think it'll be an adventure to chart her growth.

No one does romance like Richelle Mead. It is maddening to read about characters that are so well-matched as they dance around each other. Just when you think there will be a big development, it all changes around. The tension between Sydney and Adrian is electric and every look, thought, and touch just leaves you wanting more more more.

With this new spin-off series comes a brand new adventure and I love what's brewing with the Alchemists. I don't want to say too much but I am so sure that if you liked what was offered in Vampire Academy, you'll enjoy the mysteries that are appearing and the questions that are starting to pop up.

One good thing about waiting so long to read this is that now I only have to wait 3 days for The Golden Lily! I can't wait!

Cover Comments: I don't LOVE it or anything but it's pretty cool. The spine look awesome on my shelf.

*Hi Brodie, Asher and Cait... have I mentioned I like you very much? <3


5/5

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book! It took me forever to finish it because I was extremely busy with my classes but it was worth it :D I love the cover and can't wait for Golden Lily. It comes out the day before my birthday. I wonder who's going to be buying me the book as a gift :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD, you finally read it. *heeee* So glad you loved! Jealous TGL is out so soon. You didn't have to endure the wait LOL. Super excited to see more Sydney and Adrian <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEEEEEEEEEE. SONIA!! Oh just.... every freaking thing you said x2.

    Honestly, I don't even know how you managed to face the world every day knowing that Bloodlines lived in your house. UNREAD. ALL THIS TIME. I can't wrap my brain around it. HOWEVER, since you've read it and loved it now.... squee!!!

    I feel exactly the same about Sydney. She's not Rose, but she's amazing in her own crazy unique way. She's a character I am so excited to see gorow over the series. And good god, I'M DYING FOR THE SYDNEY/ADRIAN SEXY SCENES. And not just because I want a naked Ivashkov... okay, 50% because of that, 50% because I'm totally shipping Sage and Steele. Hee, JET STEELE!! <3

    Fanfreakingtastic review, Sonia!! THE GOLDEN LILY IS NEARLY UPON US! *runs around house squealing*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I RECENTLY FINISHED THIS BOOK TOO!!! Well not really recently. Like about 2 weeks ago. BUT I AM SO HAPPY!!!! THE GOLDEN LILY IS COMING OUT IN 1 DAY! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. After that ending, I NEED THE SECOND BOOK. Adrian!!! <3

    Awesome review, Sonia! <3 SO glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete