Monday 5 November 2012

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Add to: Goodreads
Source: Raincoast Books for review
Publisher: Harcourt
Format: Paperback, 351 pages
Release Date: January 18, 2010

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . . 
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war — and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.

Vampires. Maybe you're sick of these fanged creatures or perhaps you're like me and can't get enough of them, but either way, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side provides a likeable and unique take on them.

I've heard different opinions on the tone of this novel ranging from more serious and probing to light and easy. Really, I'm going to say that this is one of those novels where it's up to YOU to decide how you want to take it. There were definitely some deeper issues about self-worth and coming into your own but if you want to take it at face-value as the wonderfully entertaining read that it is... go for it.

The novel is told in alternating perspectives with Jessica and Lucius at centre-stage. Both of these characters had strong, distinct voices and contrasted nicely with each other. I appreciated Jessica's analytical mind and loved Lucius' dry humour. Getting a chance to get into both of their minds was definitely an element that worked well for this novel.

Both of the these characters make some interesting transformations throughout the course of the novel. For Jessica, this means discovering who she truly is and learning to love herself. For Lucius, it's adjusting to a new life in America (however temporary it may be). In both cases, the characters are forced to change their way of thinking and watching that happen was one of my favourite things about the story.

A well-written novel that succeeded in making me both laugh and think.

Cover Comments: It's cute! Pretty standard but visually-appealing, I think.

4 Golden Crowns!

CANADIAN RESIDENTS: There's still time to win a copy of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side HERE!

18 comments:

  1. LOVED this books. Definitely one of my favs in the vampire genre. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a stand-out for me as well! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this book. At least, I remember loving this book. I still haven't read the sequel though I really want to. It seems that the world (or my TBR) is not allowing for that with the way things stand on my end. But. EVENTUALLY. Eventually I'll get to that sequel.

    Anyway, back you. I think that second paragraph is pure genius writing, my friend. I <3 you for it. And your dazzling personality, but is that news? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaaah, I have the sequel to get to as well! But sigh. So many other books that I need to have read yesterday (or like... last century sometime)

      I think YOU are pure genius everytime I see your words typed somewhere, Ash <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  3. I just can't get enough of vampires like you. I'm not sure what it is, but they are still so.. mysterious to me and I devour every vampire book I come across. I like the alternating POV's and the fact that Lucius' has such a dry humor. I can't wait to read this book :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, glad I'm not the only one! Hope you end up LOVING this one, Mel! :)

      Delete
  4. It's been awhile since I read this book, definitely going to have to do a reread before I get the sequel, but I remember looking the quirkiness of it. And how much it made me giggle. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, YES! I actually ran to my sister (poor soul) a few times with the book to go, "LOOK HOW FUNNY LUCIUS IS, ANITA... LOOOOOOK!" Thanks, Princess Ash!

      Delete
  5. I so so so so so so enjoyed this book!!! I don't think I was expecting to love it as much as I did, but it offered something DIFFERENT at the time and I gobbled it up. I'm curious to read your thoughts on the sequel, if you get around to it. I started it, but... I just couldn't get into it =\ Which is a real shame, given how addictive I found this. FANTABULOUS REVIEW, STORY QUEEN SONIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Brodie, noooo! I have a copy of the sequel, just need to make time to read it. I'm SO SAD that you didn't enjoy :( Thank you, thank you, Queen of My Heart!

      Delete
  6. I've heard such great things about this one! It's definitely one I'm planning on reading, so I love hearing more good reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D I know what you mean. I was definitely excited to read it when I finally did.

      Delete
  7. So here's the thing.
    I read this review last week.
    I wrote a comment.
    I hit send.
    My phone ate it.
    I hated my phone.
    But forgave it quickly to run off and download the chapter sample of this on it.

    SONIA. I don't know why, but I was just never interested in this until... your review. Seriously.

    I love ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh, I hate it when my comments get deleted! I try to remember to copy them before hitting 'send' now but it seems like all the times that I DON'T remember, it gets deleted.

      YAY! :D I love that you might read this!

      Delete
  8. Ooh. Sounds like a lovely book, especially when it deals with issues that can either be taken in or taken at face value! I love that! Lovely review as always, Sonia :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) Especially helpful for when I'm in a particularly strong mood... Then I can just enjoy it for what I'm looking for. Thanks so much, Pooja! <3

      Delete
  9. This sounds like such a fun book! Enjoyed your review.

    Hello from a new follower--found you via our mutual friend, the awesome Sarah over at Saz101. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it wrong to be fangirling a little that you're following me? <3

      Delete