Wednesday 17 July 2013

Reading Challenges

In 2012 I decided to try out some reading challenges (Debut Author Challenge and Contemporary Challenge). I was really pumped for them at the beginning because I thought it would expand my reading horizons and encourage me to read books that I wouldn't have otherwise. Sounds good, right?

image
Source: Muscle Puppy

Uh... no. Not really.

image

What they actually did was make me feel anxious and disappointed in myself because I didn't reach the goals I'd set. Which, obviously, was not the point of the challenge. It's no fault but my own and I don't regret signing up for these challenges in the first place... but nonetheless, it didn't work for me.

So challenges are not for me (except that stupid GR reading challenge which I cannot stop myself from starting and freaking out over) but I totally get it if they're for you! For the reasons I initially wanted to participate in them and for others as well -- such as the chance to read with people and share what you (dis)like! -- challenges sound like so much fun. 

I hope that everyone participating in any challenges in 2013 is kicking butt at them and, even if you're hopelessly behind (I feel you) who cares? Have fun!!

PS - So I know you Supernatural fans are an... enthusiastic... bunch (my best friend is one of you and OH MY GOD the trauma you put yourselves through) but no, I don't watch it! I did watch the first episode and it freaked me out (I hear that's a tame one lol) but who knows, maybe someday I will continue!

PPS - That's basically like a 1% chance because A) my heart and B) this show never ends, seriously

Do you participate in challenges? Which ones are your favourites?

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand how challenges can stress you out. I initially challenged myself to read 100 books this year, but I had no idea how much strain Uni life and having a baby sister would put on me, that I ended up not reading for 2.5 months. Needless to say I fell dramatically behind and felt so awful I ended up changing my reading goal. XD

    I would like to try some more challenges next year though, because a few of them do try and broaden your reading range and kind of put yourself out of the box in terms of what I normally read. Which is good for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. The Goodreads challenge is my best friend. I've already surpassed my goal of 150 books xD
    I like other challenges too though...though I never seem to be able to complete them....
    Hmm..
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling the same way now. I'm not even trying anymore. I'm just going to do reading challenges when I feel like it on Goodreads. It's more fun that way (:
    I haven't watched Supernatural in years but I know what you mean. All those gifs! It's just too much. You would think it would end by now...

    ReplyDelete