Friday 23 September 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies
(Goodreads profile)

Source: NetGalley
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 320

On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.
A Beautiful Dark is the dazzling start to a new series from debut author Jocelyn Davies.

The main character, Skye, is easily relatable. She studies hard so that she can get into a good college and skis after school to feel that rush of cold air and the exhilaration that follows. She also actually has real friends that she hangs out with - Dan and Cassie were great characters and you could see the easy comfort the three of them had together.

Cue Asher and Devin, and suddenly Skye's normal life has been flipped upside down (and then rattled around a bit for good measure). These two "cousins" were polar opposites and I was as torn between them as Skye for a good portion of the book!

The first half of the novel eases you into Skye's world before things really start to heat up. I must say, my favourite part of the novel was the mythology behind it all and I'm so curious to see how that will affect everything in the future. There is definitely an awesome foundation that's been set and I imagine that the sequels will be even more exciting!

Fair warning though: the ending of this novel kills. It is like the definition of cliffhanger. Honestly, the only thought that was running through my head when I completed the book was, "that's just a really mean joke, right"? Followed by, "wow, I really liked that" of course!

Cover Comments: This cover is so beautiful. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is I love about it... maybe a combination of elements? I do have to say that I LOVE the different fonts they chose for the cover and author name. Harper, you sure do have some pretty packaging.

4/5

5 comments:

  1. Ah, this book is confusing me so much. I keep seeing mixed reviews - I literally JUST read a negative review for it and thought "I'll pass" but now I've seen this, and of course you have fabulous taste, so I don't know whether to read it or not now! :P Well, glad you enjoyed it at least. Now I have some thinking to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few mixed opinions, like Liz, but nearly all the positive ones I've read have come from bloggers I love and who share the same taste in books for me. So ya'll are making me super excited to read this! And that cover... so stunning.

    Man, this ending is kiling me already. I'm a little scared to read it, but at the same time thrilled to be tortured in such a way! Really curious about the mythology, every angel book I read has it's own little twist. And yes, I'm eager to meet Asher and Devin ;) Awesome review, Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually the first review for this book I've seen so I think I'll give it a go and see what I make of it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!


    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz: We do this on purpose, you know. It's a huge game of "LET'S CONFUSE THE HECK OUT OF LIZ." Haha, I can see how some people might have issues with the love triangle, at least. I didn't really mind since, like I said, I was just as conflicted.

    Brodie: It is stunning! I'm curious to see which side you'll be on... I've picked one now, at least. Thanks!

    Cait: Great, hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting this book soon . . . c'mon postman! I've heard mixed reviews for this book but the cover is gorgeous and I'm hoping I'll love this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete