Monday 12 September 2011

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Hereafter by Tara Hudson
(Goodreads profile)

Source: Library
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 404

Can there truly be love after death? 
Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive. 
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.
I don't read many ghost stories at all. The only ones I can actually remember reading are the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong - if you even count that. Still, I was excited to read Hereafter. The mystery and romance that the summary promises drew me in and I'm a sucker for gorgeous covers like this one.

Hereafter opens with Amelia thinking of her death. It's sudden, it's spooky, it's dramatic - and I loved it. Amelia is hopelessly lost as to who she is and what will happen to her, so as readers, we get to piece together her old life with her. Besides trying to figure out her past, Amelia does grow into her own throughout the course of the novel. There's nothing I love more than some good character development and I was glad to see that happen with Amelia.

While there are some creepy bits (if you're anything like me, you'll love them), a huge aspect of the story is also the romance between Amelia and Joshua, the first one to actually see Amelia after her death. The chemistry between Amelia and Joshua is apparent as they grow closer, and I loved this sweet, understanding boy. That said, I do almost wish Joshua had been a little less understanding. I mean, you find out this girl you've met is a ghost and that only you can see her... wouldn't you be a little freaked out?! I sure would!

The entire time Amelia and Joshua are trying to get to know each other, darker forces are at work as well. Eli, another ghost, is dead-set on having Amelia for himself and makes no secret of it. Still, it's hard to know how evil he really is, as he switches around at a heart-pounding pace. I liked the break from the classic bad guy act, as I really do think Eli was a well-rounded character with many facets to him.

A tale that is both haunting and sweet, Hereafter attracts your attention and pulls you right in.

Cover Comments: The blue and the yellow make such a pretty combination and I love how Amelia's body appears. Such a gorgeous cover!

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I loved this (I'm realising lately how much I love ghost stories. I used to read a lot as a kid, but haven't read a ton of the last few years). I too, really liked that Eli was... layered. Not just a villain for the sake of being one, but he had a history, he had various sides to him. And Josh was too sweet! <3 Amelia is a fantastic character. Can't wait to see what's going to happen next. Awesome review, Sonia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting Hereafter this week, so I'm glad to hear that it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this one recently and shall get onto it soon. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't read ghost stories? But they are awesome! :P. I say that, but I haven't even read this yet. It looks awesome though - Amelia sounds like a great character and I'm definitely intrigued by Eli! Fab review :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brodie: Yay, glad you agree! :) I can't wait to see what happens with Amelia/Josh in the next books...

    Angel: Awesome! Hopefully you like it as well! :)

    Katrina: I know how it is with all the books to get to :P Happy reading!

    Liz: I don't know why! I should read more obviously. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete