Monday 25 July 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Source: Library
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.
Reading this novel was a little like embarking on an epic journey across the world. It was fun, it was exciting, and it definitely won't be the last book (although it was the first) that I read by Maureen Johnson.
Ginny's character is someone that I think most people will be able to relate to. She's brave, even if she doesn't seem to think so (who hops on a plane at the whim of a dead person? Not me) but also has a more vulnerable, insecure side. There were times while I was reading where I wished that she would have let out her more adventurous side but for the most part, Maureen Johnson kept me entertained enough with the situations she put Ginny in.
Each envelope that Ginny opens (along the way, I might add) gives her a new task and generally involves her moving to a new place. Each destination of hers is so exotic and the things she experiences in each place are unforgettable. My family actually travels a lot but in no way did that take away the enjoyment of seeing Ginny roam the streets of a new country for the first time.

There was a little romance in this book, but the overall feeling I got was more one of self-discovery and adventure. That being said, 'the guy' of this story was awesome. I don't know how many people here know this but I'm a drama kid - inside and outside of class. How could I not love a guy who wrote and starred in a play called Starbucks: The Musical? Like I said though, the romantic aspect of the novel is definitely done on a smaller scale - no insta-love here, just budding attraction.

The ending of this novel was very fitting for me and I'm not really sure how I feel about a sequel existing. I thought this one left off on a good place and I have to admit that I'm not crazy about uncovering some of the mystery left behind in this one. Nonetheless though, I'll give it a shot and see where the story takes me. Great read!

Cover Comments: Find a bigger shirt, Ginny.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this!! It's been on my to-read list for a long time but I've been putting it off because of some so-so reviews. I was shocked when I noticed that Maureen Johnson = Name of the Star Maureen Johnson! Haha great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a different read for me, but all the same I really enjoyed it! So glad you did too. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea for this and how spontaneous it sounds - just jumping on a plane and following the instructions these envelopes give. What an adventure! I'm definitely adding this to my to-read list, especially since I'm looking forward to Maureen's Name Of The Star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one! Glad you enjoyed it :). I agree that the ending was very fitting, but I sort of accidentally found out what the sequel was about and now I'm really wary about reading it :P. I'll give it a try though, like you said, and see where the story goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a Maureen book yet. But I am looking very forward to Name of the Star book that's coming out this year. So if I like that I might give this one a go too!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really a cute book. I loved the European setting as well. Ginny is really relatable and I love the non instant love. It felt more real and natural. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa: I know - talk about a different genre. Thanks!

    Renu: Oh, awesome! I'm glad you liked it :)

    Brodie: Yeah, the envelopes have some of the craziest instructions and Ginny is basically just told to follow them straightaway. It was fun!

    Liz: Glad you enjoyed it as well! :) I know next to nothing about the sequel (I mostly just know the title which kind of gives away a little LOL) and I want to keep it that way!

    Erin: Thanks! Everyone seems to be excited for Name of the Star! It looks interesting but on the other hand, a bit freaky. Hopefully I can suck it up and read the book as I'm sure it'll be good. The concept is awesome.

    Kathy: I thought the way she incorporated the romance was cute, yes :) It didn't really jump out at you but I could still feel those vibes (I can't believe I just used the word 'vibes').

    ReplyDelete
  8. nooo! the sequel is even better!! I know you might think that there isn't room for one at the minute but seriously... read it! :D (glad you enjoyed this one though... I did too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I love your cover comment! Agreed.

    And *Starbucks: The Musical*? That much alone catches my interest. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raimy: Awesome! :D I'm really excited to read it now.

    Jenna: Seriously, it's all I can think about when I look at her. Plus, I can't see the actual character wearing that at all.

    YES. Amazing, right? (The name of the musical, not my review although thank you for saying that!)

    ReplyDelete