Tuesday 26 July 2011

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Source: Won through author's blog
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Pages: No clue on the ARC - 352 on HC
Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

You might remember that I reviewed Paranormalcy a few months ago and thought it was an amazingly cute and entertaining read. Luckily, I enjoyed Supernaturally just as much despite the fact that the two novels are different in lots of ways.

If Paranormalcy is about Evie questioning everything she has come to know and learning to deal with some new problems that arise, Supernaturally focuses a lot more on Evie growing as a character and discovering who/what she is.

Right from page one, Kiersten White had me laughing out loud. Evie remains a funny and realistic teenager (with a slight flair for overdramatics) even as she does some things that made me think "UH-OH, girl." Although she is no longer a full-time employee at IPCA, she has agreed to do some contractual work that she has to balance along with her personal life (can't forget that lovely boyfriend of hers) and school, which Evie quickly realizes is a little less glamorous than it seems on TV (although the lockers are still awesome). There are nasty paranormal creatures that I'd never even heard about before but there is also gym class and college applications. Do you know how happy it makes me that Evie still has to worry about stuff like homework?! SO HAPPY.

Another thing that I enjoyed about this novel was learning more about some other characters. For example, I really did like Lend in the first novel, and the way he and Evie came together was adorable, but I felt a lot closer to him in this book. He was just what Evie needed: sweet, supportive and comforting. I also really liked Reth in this book which is reasonably bizarre to me but also kind of satisfying because I was right and I did see more to his character. There's also this new guy, Jack - think endearing ball of crazy and you'll get the right idea.

Kiersten White writes these great characters into a fantastically set-up world with unexpected plot points, twists and arcs. A bleeping awesome sequel!

(Also: Even if you have really, really bad taste and you don't want to read this book, do it for the acknowledgements section. Seriously.)

Cover Comments: Absolutely gorgeous. The colours are stunning and so is Evie - that is exactly how I pictured her eyes to be! Also, I want that dress in my closet. Preferrably now.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, I so want to read this. But guess what? Doesn't publish in the UK 'til 2012. WTH. Glad you enjoyed it - I'm with you on liking the the fact that there are weird crazy creatures and yet there's also homework to worry about too. That's what makes this series AWESOME. Among other things. Great review, Sonia :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveloveloved your review. I ♥ paranormalcy like you wouldn't believe despite how much I was like "ugh. another paranormal book." Nope this is a different creature altogether and a great read. I CAN'T WAIT until I get my hands on Supernaturally. Is it September yet?

    ♥ Trish
    Just a YA Girl

    P.S. I don't think I put enough love's and heart's in this comment do you? ;p LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH! You have me so much more excited to read this!! I think I'm already in love with Jack. "Endearing ball of crazy"... ? He's my kinda guy :) Oh I'm excited to see Evie finally go to school. I'm glad lockers remain to be awesome :D

    So glad you loved this. Sometimes sequels fall flat, but it sounds like this definitely does not suffer from that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz: WHAT? 2012?! That's crazy! D: Hopefully it turns out to be worth the wait.

    Trish: LOL we already talked about the whole Sept. thing so I won't say anything now but... really? ;D

    Brodie: Yay! That was the idea after all. You are going to LOVE Jack - although apparently every guy is "your kinda guy" *glares* Stay away.

    ReplyDelete