Monday 4 July 2011

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Source: Library
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 368

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have. 
 If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them. 
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.
Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) is a hilarious tale about what happens when two high school girls decide to live on their own, lying to their parents every step of the way.

loved April's voice. Seriously, if someone were to write a book about me, that is what the voice in my head would sound like - crazy and slightly hysterical. The other characters in the story were all special to me as well (even crazy Lucy - I loved that creepy stalker!). My favourite though had to be Hudson. Really, he had it all going for him - mysterious, funny and trusting. I just wish we could have seen more of him!

The things that April and Vi (her housemate) get into are mostly outrageous. Sometimes it's not realistic, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the book touched on some more serious topics while still maintaining its good humour.

Another thing that I enjoyed was the style of Sarah's writing. Within each chapter (complete with hilarious chapter titles!) the story jumped from past to present randomly but in a way that was never confusing or odd for me. It was easy to follow along and I liked the easy, carefree pace.

A perfect summer read!

Cover Comments: Not my favourite. I just generally don't like covers like this. I love the colour scheme though! The back of the book is great, too :) 

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've been hearing a lot about this one! I loved Sarah's Magic in Manhattan series, so I'm eager to try this out. Glad you enjoyed it! I've been looking for something funny - thanks for the review :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even in the summary, I liked the voice. I'd never heard of this, but now I may have to check it out -- for #7, if nothing else. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! this book is definitely on my wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been hearing great things about this. It just looks like such a cute summer read that I think I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) too!! It was definitely a fun read that still had its serious moments. I wish there was more of Hudson though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The characters all sound so awesome! And colour me intrigued to get inside April's (aka your) crazy head :P I haven't had this kind of read in a while, so this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I gotta read this now, must go to library and amazong see which gets to me faster. YAY for crazy heads. they're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her voice sounds fantastic, and I'm dying to meet Hudson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you clearly loved this book -- sounds like a lot of fun, and a perfect summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw this book sounds great. Going to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz: Oh, that one was good too? It sounded kind of upper MG when I read the summary (not that I'm saying that's a bad thing at all). I should give them a try! Thanks.

    Jenna: Haha, I was surprised by how #7 played out.

    Anna: Thank you so much!

    Jillian: I think you will too! Thanks :)

    Liz: I KNOW. I need more Hudson! He was so sweet right from the beginning.

    Brodie: The idea of getting into my crazy head doesn't scare you? Has being around me taught you nothing?!

    Jazmin: Oh, I love your enthusiasm :D Crazyness always wins out in the end.

    Alyssa: You should be. SO AWESOME. There is also a hot tub named Hula. You should be doubly excited to meet the hot tub.

    TheBookGirl: I did :) It was just really fun.

    Jo: Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seems like a good book. I'll have to check it out soon.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best book I've EVER read! Loved it. Wish she'd write more like it. It was amazing. I didn't want to stop reading at the end. Amazing book. You've gotta read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Sarah Mlynowski's books. As usual, I was hooked! I didn't want to stop reading. I loved April and her crazy ideas. I loved watching her get into and out of scrapes. I loved watching her relationships develop and change. I couldn't stop turning the pages! If you haven't read this or any other of Sarah Mlynowski's books - RUN out and get them!

    Marlene
    Informative URL for Bear Viewing deals

    ReplyDelete