Saturday 21 May 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Source: Library
Publisher: Dutton (Penguin)
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 372

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.

So, I know you've seen the raving reviews for Anna and the French Kiss. You've heard how amazingly cute and wonderful it is and, oh, Étienne St.Clair... marry me? Well then what are you waiting for? Why haven't you picked up this book?! The praise is all true and completely justified on this one.

Anna was a fabulous main character. She is a bit of a neat freak, a movie buff, genuine and hilarious. I want this girl as my best friend, please. The characters in Anna and the French Kiss are like real teenagers; quirky and flawed and all completely unique in their own way. It's easy to get wrapped up in their stories because they're all so relatable.

I would be remiss to not mention Étienne in this review. He was wonderful and I totally swooned every time his name appeared on the page. He's more than just a pretty face (although he has that going for him, too). He's sweet, funny and thoughtful... plus, he speaks French. What more can I say?

I've heard people say this book isn't a romance novel - but it is. It's a really, really good romance novel for teens. Stephanie Perkins perfectly captured the attraction between Anna and Étienne and filled the pages of the book with humour and sheer cuteness. Seriously! I could not stop the grin on my face and there were plenty of times I laughed (loudly) out loud.

So, what I'm saying is: you have to read this book, NOW. If you've already read it, you have to let me know so that we can gush about it together.

Cover Comments: It's cute! (I have totally said that word 4938274982734 times in this review.) I like the softer colour scheme and the font is SO PRETTY. I wish Étienne was shorter, though. His shortness delights me.

11 comments:

  1. What'd I tell you?!? FREAKING ADORABLE. I wish my life was like this. I swear, after reading ANNA, I started paying more attention in French class!

    Everything about this book was just PERFECT. The setting made me yearn to travel to France. The characters were all real. I totally agree with you; I wish they were my friends! The plot was bang on. Perfectly paced, leaving us flipping through the pages with unbelievable speed. The bumps that showed up only made me more anxious.

    And the romance. What can I say? Perkins is a genius. It was slow and sweet. It literally grew from friendship to love and it couldn't have been any better. They actually bonded. All the issues they had only made their relationship stronger in the end. Gahh! I want an Etienne!

    Basically, ANNA is just perfect. I literally sniff it all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, I just wrote an essay up there! But you like long comments, no? :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. YES! They should read us ANNA in school to make us pay attention in French! Alright, who's going to the school board with this idea - you or me? ;D

    I KNOW! I wish I could go back to France like, right now. Clearly I didn't appreciate it enough back then (LIKE THE HOT FRENCH BOYS). I know! One of my favourites for suuure :)

    Yeah, I know! I mean, he had a girlfriend - they were friends! Cute friends! That talked! And didn't just make out! Or talk about how pretty they were! Yay, ANNA!

    Who doesn't like long comments? ;D Like I said, from now on, I'm going to copy and paste your comments and switch them out with my reviews, LOL.

    I need LOLA nowww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this so bad. I've been hearing how adorable this book is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved this book. I could not agree with you more. It was an amazing story and I loved Etienne! Definitely a great book and great review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jillian - Yeah, that was me up until I actually read it :) I hope you can get it soon!

    Kristen - Thanks! Wasn't it amazing? I just loved everything about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many reviews saying that they've loved this one, but I just haven't picked it up yet. After your review I guess I need too :) It sounds good though, and I think I'd like it that the main characters truly do feel like teens. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. T.B. - Well, I guess so ;) I'm glad you liked it! I hope you enjoy the book as well. The characters were really easy for me to connect to :) It was one of the big reasons I loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, it's annoying when people say this isn't a romance. I would say it offers a lot more than a "typical" romance novel does, but it is definitely a romance. And what an amazing romance it is. Loveeee all these characters. I can't wait for 'Lola' to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is annoying! I mean, is that to imply that romance is a horrible genre with crappy writing? I hope not! It's like any other genre with its ups and downs. Neither can I! I love Cricket already (although Honey has officially claimed him).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked St. Claire. I loved his accent, the way he talks, his perspective of things. He guided Anna when she need him and they had fun together. What I didn't like was that he was selfish. Sorry, but I had to say it. I know he didn't mean to but he used her as his crutch when he felt lonely and that upset me. While I was glad that he like and fell in love with her genuinely, I was still saddened by his actions.

    ReplyDelete