Monday 2 May 2011

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Source: Library
Publisher: Doubleday Canada (Random House) 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 391

My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.
But normal is one thing I'm not.
To start with, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother - who just happens to be a sorcerer - but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.
Not normal.
My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us - permanently.
Definitely not normal.
And finally, I'm a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.
As far away from normal as it gets.
*Spoilers are contained within this book for The Summoning and The Awakening. Read at your own risk!*

I love this series. It's action-packed and exciting with clever dialogue and lovely descriptions and I'm sad to see it end. That being said, I really enjoyed this book, even though it wasn't my favourite of the trilogy.

My wish was fulfilled in that there was some more focus on developing everyone's powers. In this book, Simon, Tori and Chloe all get special training from others that share their talents. To be honest, I spent these scenes (well, one in particular, anyway) ready to throw the book at the wall because of how much the 'tutor' was annoying me. Due to the experiments that were performed on them, the younger characters all have enhanced powers, something the adults are unwilling to understand and accept.

I really have enjoyed seeing Chloe grow through the series. I've seen her transform from the meek, innocent little girl that watched and listened to a stronger one that isn't afraid to speak up for herself. Chloe is a character that I can easily connect to and that I love to cheer on as she makes decisions for herself.

The other characters in this story also evoke strong emotions from me. While I love both Simon and Derek, Derek is definitely my favourite of the two. He is protective and clearly cares for Chloe a lot but doesn't flaunt his love like some sort of lovesick puppy. Tori is someone that has really grown on me. When I first started the series, she made me want to rip out of my hair, but I feel like I understand her better and I like the tentative friendship she and Chloe are building. Most of the newer characters in this book grated on my nerves and are one of the only things I won't mind losing with this series.

There was a lot of focus on this book on the Edison Group and all of the experiments and secrets they've been hiding. While it does make the book a little slower than the previous in the series, this book is by no means boring. There was one scene in particular involving Derek and Chloe that made my heart pound frantically - I love when a book can get that kind of reaction from me.

All in all, a wonderful conclusion to a stellar trilogy! Definitely something that you want to check out if you haven't already.

Cover Comments: It's preeeeetty! All of the covers for this series are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment