Monday 30 May 2011

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: eARC
Pages: 256

Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...

This was my first Elizabeth Scott novel, and after reading it, I can wholeheartedly say that I'm eager to read another.

Between Here and Forever tells the story of a girl with rock bottom self-esteem put into a difficult situation that she tries her very hardest to change. It is unique, haunting and touches on a lot of tough topics.

Abby... is a difficult main character to love. This girl literally has no sense of self-worth and spends a lot of time comparing herself to her older sister, Tess, who to her is like perfection personified. Just when I thought her character was going to build a little confidence, the notion was knocked down immediately. It was scary for me to read about Abby because I do know people like her. It's terrifying for me to believe that people could think that lowly of themselves, but there are those that do just as much as Abby.

In terms of the writing, I really liked it. There is some quality that I just can't put my finger on that made me want to keep reading. It was a great combination of dialogue and description - something that can be difficult to balance.

The characters in this story were so diverse. I'm talking personality, race, sexuality... you name it. There were multiple issues looked at and I really appreciated that aspect of the story. It* makes for a story that sticks out in my mind and stays close to my heart. I appreciate my diversity in YA.

Overall, I think Between Here and Forever was a really great book. Act now and there may or may not be a hot boy in the deal - read and find out!**

*Yes, that's right - IT. Spoilerspoilerspoiler if I elaborate.  
**Okay, you caught me. There is a hot boy.

Cover Comments: I like it. My brain hurts too much right now to decode the symbolism behind the flower but whatever it is, I'm sure it's brilliant and meaningful. Unless it's just a pretty flower, in which case I would have gone with a blue one because clearly, blue flowers are magnificently more attractive than yellow ones. Yes, I'm tired. Yes, I need to sleep. Good night.

6 comments:

  1. This is the second review I've read today for this book and now I'm really eager to get my hands on it! Nice Review :)

    Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know... About the whole coma and all... Boo. I'm not one for depressing reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting because while I think Tess is an integral part of the story, I was never really that affected by her being in a coma. Not that I didn't feel sorry for the family's situation... there were just other things that I focused on more. I wouldn't exactly say it's a cheerful read, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished this one the other day. I liked it. Like you said, the issues in this book were very true and relatable. It was interesting to see how Tess's secrets came out. Abby's lack of confidence was astounding though. I mean, could anyone really think that lowly of themselves? I guess people do and that's what makes this book so much more real. Scott's writing style was easy to slip into, which is always a bonus. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a review somewhere that said they totally had Tess's secrets figured out from the beginning. Maybe I'm just really dense, but I didn't suspect that at all until Abby did! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete